Wednesday, January 2, 2013

From September 24

Well, it sure has been awhile, but today is Monday, so why not a little "Monday's with Mary"? See why we can't call it mornings with Mary?
I have been thinking a lot lately about destination, verses journey as well as the journey verses the route taken to get there.
I could take a plane to the top of Mt Everest and parachute in to the summit. (In theory, since I don't enjoy flying and am fairly certain I would enjoy falling even less)
When I got to the summit, there is no question that the view would be astounding. It would be amazing. Amazing and breath-taking. So breath-taking, that I would probably die, or come very close to it.
That is not a joke. Part of the journey to the summit it going up, and then back down. Then up, and then back down. They do this for days, even weeks to train their bodies, as well as their minds for the task ahead of them.
The experienced climber recognizes the folly in pushing straight to the goal, without thought or care. The experienced climber also takes a guide with him. A guide who’s only job in life is to take people up, and back down. Not for the glory of saying he has climbed the mountain 50 times in his life, but for the purpose of training and protecting the other travelers.
Can you imagine that? Can you imagine going thru what many who have accomplished it to be the single most grueling experience of their lives? The guide goes thru it again and again. Not for his glory or fame. We all heard about the 12 year old who had climbed all the major peaks. Did anyone realize there were something like 20 crew members with him and his dad? I don’t remember seeing any of the crew on the Today Show.
I know those may seem like two random and different thoughts. Let me explain.
I have no idea where my summit will be, but I do know, down to my very cells that when I get there, the view will be astounding. It will be worth the struggle, the up and down, the pain, the training, all of it.
Part of my training and struggle right now comes in small ways. I painted my bedroom. No big deal, right? With each brush stroke, I could feel myself taking that one step up, then the next. I am moving forward.
When I settle down into my base camp at night, I take a moment to look at where I came from. What is behind, and to look ahead, to where I am going.
And I have a guide. He knows the way. Even in the toughest storm, he knows the way to the summit. He has been there before, and will be again. I have complete faith in His ability to train, guide, nurture and protect me, and my crew.
As for my crew, well they are amazing. Even if I never were to reach that “summit” the view from where I sit is still pretty astounding.
We learn on the journey. We grow. We are tested. We fail. We pass. We fall. We get back up. The journey is where God is. Where he reaches out and holds us.
So as much as I would love to just get to the top and check it off and call it done, I thank God that He has a better plan.

No comments: