Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A picture from my childhood

When I was a little girl, my mom and her closest dearest friends would spend the summer days sitting in the kitchen, drinking coffee, preparing lunches, drinks and snacks for a herd of kids and refereeing a few fights. All the while, us kids would run in and out of the room and all around the house and yard. This is how I remember being a kid. I can picture it so vividly in my head, it might be yesterday.
Except yesterday was a little different. It was the exact same picture, complete with grilled cheese and mac & cheese for the masses. The only thing different in the picture was me. I was not running around having fun and dressing as a princess. That was Rylee. I was the one sitting at the table with my mom, talking the day away.
I often look around at my life and wonder when this all happened, and where the adults are. Yesterday I actually felt like a grown up. It may sound strange, but sitting in that same picture from my memory, it seemed to fit. It was nostalgia and normalcy blending together.
I told Lonnie last night that I really enjoyed the day. And now I have a new memory to add in there, the view from the table, not just the one from running around it.

No comments: